Miriam Riedmiller - a Washington D.C. Immigration Lawyer
Washington DC Immigration Success Stories and Testimonials
In over 15 years, we have documented immigration success stories from a cross section of clients, in a wide range of visas – humanitarian visas and relief, family-based visas and and business related-visas.
In 1995, we represented our first employment-based visa case. Our labor certification application for a Filipino household cook, was approved and reported in the legal community (www.aila.org, read more). On our 15th year, in 2010, we helped a European scientist, obtain a green card as the first green roof expert to qualify as an alien of exceptional ability alien, proving that he serves U.S. national interest. In between, we championed victims of violence, special immigrants like religious ministers, and World Bank executives and even J-1 exchange visa scholars in waivers.
In this page, our clients and peers, share insights and kind words, and with their permission, we are sharing them with you, in order to plant seeds of hope and inspiration, in the face of harsh immigration laws and in the economic downturn.
Peer Review for Mentorship
- Ricson Dakanay, Esq former Riedmiller Law legal intern,(center) at oath taking in 2011 with family.
I've written this recommendation of your work to share with other LinkedIn users.
Details of the Recommendation: "Ms. Riedmiller was a great mentor to me, and continues to be to this day. She is a selfless individual who often puts the needs of her clients before her own. She exemplifies the highest form of ethics and standards expected of an attorney. As an intern in her office I developed the skills of reading and persuasive writing which served me well during my 1L year. She is an extraordinary woman whom I'm fortunate to know."
- NURSE OF 24 YEARS IN THE U.S. NATURALIZES INTO A U.S. CITIZEN AFTER BEING SCAMMED BY A WEBSITE.
"Thanks to Attorney Miriam Riedmiller, I’m now a U.S. citizen, after 24 years of my procrastination… she rescued me from my own mistakes, and from being victimized by a web scam.
Because I’m a critical care nurse, I take care of trauma patients, forgetting about myself. When I tried to apply for through the internet, I fell victim to a scam. When I paid with my credit card, I thought that the $680.00 was for the filing fees: $595 for the N-400 and $ 85.00 for the biometrics. I was wrong!!!! . I tried everything to trace the web owners but I could only pray.
After being victimized, I realized that what I need is a real immigration attorney – a trustworthy professional who would help me solve my expiring green card issue. That’s when I remembered that for many years, I‘ve seen the ads of Attorney Riedmiller at the Filipino newspaper in the store. So, I decided to call her. When I met her, I saw that she was warm and real. She took my case, and helped me apply for naturalization, prepare for the interview and she accompanied at the USCIS interview, all the way to my oath taking the same day.
Attorney Riedmiller’s legal services are above and beyond my expectation. I was so happy , my own husband, decided to hire her for his citizenship application. Thank you! "
Grace T. of Maryland ( July, 2011)
- PERSONAL TOUCH FOR DELICATE NATURALIZATION APPLICATION (FORMER SPECIAL IMMIGRANT (I-360 PETITION) GETS U.S. CITZENSHIP
“Good morning Attorney Miriam Riedmiller. I appreciate the personal touch you gave to my naturalization application. I feel lucky to be a U.S. citizen. Before then, I felt lucky for my green card as a special immigrant ( I-360 Petition).
It is comforting to have a lawyer like you who can work on a delicate case, and show so much concern for me and my case. It feels as if you stepped into my shoes, as a client . Indeed, this kind of reputation precedes you.
Talk to you soon.
Annie (Alexandria, Virginia)"
WAIVER OF JOINT PETITION FOR REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS ON GREEN CARD
- I-601 WAIVER REUNITES FAMILY BEFORE PETITIONER'S DEATH
Inay (mother) passed away on June 8th. But are very thankful that my brother and his family got their green card before then. For 20 years, we nurtured that dream to see Nor and his family step on American soil. It would have been a great tragedy if they did not see our mother alive in the U.S. Thank you so much for obtaining the waiver and visa for my brother and his family. Exactly one week after, Inay was hospitalized never to recover. She said her work was done, she was content, she couldn’t ask for more. And since she can no longer speak, I as her daughter, her “first mate”, I said at the eulogy: I hereby declare all men on board; all men accounted for. We are all together now in America as a family.
You did a great job. A copy of my eulogy is attached. Regards to you and Mama Vin. Take care.
NELSON / EVA
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 9:32 PM Subject: Eulogy
Read The Eulogy >>
What you gave me is a lot more than what I paid for your services. Thank you, St. Matthews Cathedral for recommending you. You are a good lawyer. Thank you, thank you for the green card. I was already hopeless because the USCIS did not believe me and my husband. He was married five time before we got married. He has health problems. And we are both senior citizens. There were many challenges but you did your best
AFRICAN NATIONAL SPARED FROM REMOVAL THROUGH VAWA
Dear Ms. Riedmiller,
You are patient. You were always there to listen. We had problems finding papers to show that my husband and I were really living together. You helped us find those documents through FOIA. You advised us what kind of documents to show because as old people who married late, we don’t have many papers to show joint finances. But you helped us explain this to the USCIS even when the Officer doubted us.
I hope you will have many more clients to help.
DAVEN W. FROM Maryland (July 18, 2011)
My family and I have appreciated all the hard work and dedication you have made towards my case. I will be the first to mention that you were the best lawyer i could ask for my situation. it's been more than 2 years since we started on this roller coaster of events and you've been as dedicated to my case as you were the from day one. I do understand that it's just the INS bureau taking a really long time to go over my case, and after all the work you did i am definite that we will win. I have been very blessed and lucky to have had you work on my very peculiar case and rest assure you will always be the only one i referred anybody that has immigration problems.
Thank you very much for your time, and i hope you have a great day and also happy holidays.
Ami from Nebraska, 2010
(A FILIPINO ENGINEER WHO HAS WORKED IN VARIOUS PARTS OF THE WORLD)
Family is doing ok,,despite the floods, my father-in-law passing away and my son’s steel plates in his leg. We Filipinos are resilient in the face of tragedies. We are getting along, my job here in Manila is good…we are all healthy and that is what is important. On keeping in touch, I will always remember you as the kind hearted lawyer who did everything she could to help me. You have become a friend even if we seldom speak to each other. The dream is still there and so is the sponsorship of a company. When the economy permits I shall be there. (Boyet, C, Manila, Philippines)
Caring for Family Unity
Dear Ms. Riedmiller:
We appreciate not only what you did to win our case so that we can stay in the U.S. as husband and wife, but more so, we appreciate the caring way you did it!
Austin and Lerman, Washington, D.C.
WORLD BANK EXECUTIVE AND WIFE & WAIVER OF HOME RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT FOR A 30-Year old J-1 Exchange Scholar Visa
I-360/ I-485 Special Immigrant/J-1
"I am extremely pleased with the hard work and dedication of Ms. Riedmiller. My immigration case is an extremely difficult one and she handled it with a creative approach that took into consideration deadlines, restrictions, and other complications.
She has shown the ability to simulate and plan for various scenarios and act accordingly."
A. Balana, Maryland
WASHINGTON, D.C. JOURNALIST AND RELATIVES IN BOSNIA
I am writing to express my gratitude for the invaluable counsel you gave me regarding my family's attempt to bring a relative to the United States from Bosnia.
As a journalist who has covered the incredibly complex and often arcane world of immigration law, and who has known far less accomplished immigration attorneys, I was so impressed with the breadth of your knowledge and experience. Your ability to strategize and approach a case from a variety of directions is equally impressive. Clearly, you are extremely skilled in your field and a top-notch professional.
As important is your obvious dedication to helping people and being a tough and persistent advocate for them. I knew immediately my family and I would be in the best of hands with you, and that you would devote all the time and energy required to help us with this crucial effort on our relative’s behalf. Your personal manner is also a delight.
I intend to heartily recommend you to anyone in need of legal assistance on any immigration matter. I feel very fortunate that the American Immigration Lawyers Association recommended you to me when I called them for a referral and I assure you that I will call on you again.
Thank you so much for your sage advice and wonderful service.
With best wishes,
- A K-1 Fiancee Visa ENTRY AND GREEN CARD TRHOUGH VAWA
- I am a Filipino Citizen,That got here in the United States with the K-3 Visa.After a long struggle and finding legal advice for atleast seven immigration lawyers, from the place that i used to live i gave up. Before i knew it i am here in Washington DC.A lawyer from the place that i used to live referred me to Attorney Riedmiller .
At first i am hesitant to see her because i loose hope already i feel like there is no way for me to stay here in the US. Till the day i met her, everything has change she gave reason to believe that in life there is hope.I am a negative thinker,i think time mold me to be one after all the things that i have been thru,broken marriage,finding legal advice for my status in the US then being abandoned after the most devastating hurricane it make me loose all my hope.
But the time i met and spoke to Atty.Miriam Riedmiller, everything seems to have a color in my life,before all i see is failure and dissappointment in my life. It took almost one year and half when she was able to give me good result of my case.She was able to get me an approval of my cases and a workin permit.Then in Dec.of 07 she was able to get me my interview for my greencard.
In January of 2008 I arrive for my interview with her,she assisted me and In God's will I got my Greencard approval,Everything would not happen if not with the work of Attorney Riedmiller, She is a dedicated person on what she do and good on what she does. So I believe that there is Hope On everything especially if you work with people that care for you and knows what they do.
No words can explain how thankful and how i appreciate all the love and care that they did for my case.To all, At the Law firm of Attorney M. Riedmiller
Washington DC,United States
Professional, Skilled and Non-skilled Workers for American Company
- Mark S. Thompson, President, ABR Services, Inc. Woodbridge, VA
- "I have used the Law Offices of Miriam B. Riedmiller to process sponsorship of several people for my business. She has consistently provided fast efficient service that is suited to my needs. She has taken the time to explain each step of the process as well as to disclose the legal ramifications of the process. Ours is a fast based business and she provides the personal touch I need to keep the process in motion."
- Counting the blessings
Thank you very much for everything. You have been so understanding and good to me. Thanks also for your prayers.
Please tell your mom that I really appreciated all the things she has done to help me. I wish to let her know that I'm thanking her for the moral support and concern and her prayers.
This is all and may the blessings of our Lord be always with us.
- DUTCH ARTIST MARRIES FOR LOVE AND PERMANENTLY RESIDES IN THE U.S.
- "As an immigration attorney, Mrs. Miriam Bustamante Riedmiller, has represented me, Carole Boggermann from the Netherlands, since the end of 1999. She has informed me and my American husband of all our immigration options, guided us efficiently through the application process and effectively prepared us for INS interviews. In June 2000, I received my fiancée visa, which allowed me to move to the US and marry the man I love. In February of 2001, I received the conditional greencard and now, after two years of being happily married, we’re glad she will help us with the last phase: the removal of the temporary status of the greencard. We are thankful for her professional advice and trust."
Carole Boggemann Peirson, Virginia
- Focused Attention
- "Ms. Riedmiller worked very diligently on our very complicated case. She was very thorough in working on the finest details. She stayed in constant contact with us and always kept us updated in the developments of our case. Even with her heavy caseload, we felt as though ours was the only case that she was working on."
- Household Cook gets a Green Card and got to visit home
- "Ms. Riedmiller is my third lawyer. My labor certification was approved. She obtained an approval of my employer’s labor certification for a cook. She got me a green card. After five years, I went home to visit."
- BATTERED WIFE OF A U.S. CITIZEN GETS A GREEN CARD.. DAUGHTER BECOMES HONOR STUDENT
- "I am a battered wife of a US citizen. I was very depressed, helpless and confused. I forgot about a previous criminal conviction. But Ms. Riedmiller stood by me until I got the green card. I am now working in a hospital while studying. My daughter is now nine years old and is an honor student."
- HEARTFELT MESSAGE FROM A FILIPINO IN FILIPINO
- "Lubos akong nag papasalamat sa lahat nang kabutihang ginagawa mo para sa akin. Batid ko ang mga pagod na nagawa mo para sa kaso kong ito. Alam ko ang hirap na ibinuhos mo para lang mapa-ayos ang aking mga dokumento at para mag karoon nang kaunting linaw ang kasong ito. Batid ko rin na ilang hakbang na lamang ako sa ikaka lutas nang problema kong ito at iyon ay dahil sa kabutihan mo. Para na ring kitang kapatid sa tuwing tayo’y mag kakausap, panatag ang pakiramdam ko sa iyong mga kamay. At buong puso kung tinatanaw na malaking utang na loob ang mga ginawa mo para sa akin."
Mr. San Jose, Maryland
- FILIPINO NUN FROM MEXICO , GETS A GREEN CARD THROUGH I-360 special IMMIGRANT PETITION
- "I am a missionary nun from the Philippines and upon the request of my order entered the USA with a religious worker visa (R-1). My first assignment was in Maryland in later 1997. Since my ministry entailed further stay in the U.S.A., there was a need to adjust status and Attorney Miriam Riedmiller successfully obtained for me a Special Immigration-Religious Worker Visa (I-360). Her standard of ethics and professionalism, vast experience in representing clients on immigration matters, competence, compassion and understanding are highly commendable. dditionally, Attorney Riedmiller is a very dynamic community leader, having been President of the PABA-DC in 2002-2003. Yours truly, as founder of the Catholic Organization for Migrant Equity, had the privilege and opportunity to collaborate and do community outreach through 2 immigration forums with Attorney Riedmiller and the members of PABA-DC.
Thank you and may God bless you! "
Sister Myrna Tordillo, Mexico City
- PEER REVIEW FROM AILA CHAPTER CHAIR
- "Miriam, finally finished reading the Dec. 2002 Immigration Law. Very impressive work you did on that change of status to F-1. Very impressive, but not surprising, knowing you. Congratulations!"
Leslie K. Dellon, Attorney, Lepon, Holzworth & Kato, PLLC and Washington, D.C. Chapter Chair of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) 2004-2005
- PEER REVIEW FROM FILIPINO-AMERICAN LAWYER FROM A LARGE D.C. LAW FIRM
- Dear PABA-DC Friends:
If I might impose upon you, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank PABA-DC's outgoing president, Miriam Riedmiller. I am sure everyone will agree that Miriam has done a fantastic job running the organization for the past two years. Last Friday, she many of us---including me---credit for the organization's success. She sang our praise, announced our individual accomplishments, gave us awards, and otherwise made each one of us feel good about us and the organization.
Yet, if there is anyone who is most deserving of recognition for her hand work, commitment, dedication, and vision, it is Miriam. The tempting call of self-aggrandizement is indeed difficult to resist, but Miriam has done so successfully. Her accomplishments are many, but she prefers to heap praise upon others rather than to receive them.
She has worked very hard in the past two years to engage all of us in charitable work; created a culture within the organization that is professional and highly ethical; reached out to the membership (old and new); seized opportunities to bridge the gap between the lay Filipino-American community and the legal profession; and expanded the services that we provide.
For these and numerous other accomplishments, I congratulate you, Miriam. I am confident that your record will stand the test of time.
Erick Soriano , Special Counsel, Kelley & Drye, Washington, D.C. 2003
- PEER REVIEW FROM NAFFAA COMMUNITY LEADER
- Hi Erik,
I concur with everything you said about Miriam, and I can certainly attest to her earnest efforts to reach out to the Filipino American community, as well as to the broader American public. Our partnership with PABA in co-sponsoring a forum on migrant rights is a tribute to her interest in educating our community, particularly the impact of new immigration laws and regulations following 9/11. The context for this collaboration is NaFFAA and PABA's Memorandum of Agreement with the Philippine Government in providing assistance to Filipinos who are in dire need.
PABA has also participated actively in our annual Philippine Festival - a community institution that brings out our creative energies so we can more effectively shape the American mainstream with our dynamic presence. She has ably represented PABA in many community events and I know that many of my colleagues appreciate the support.
Her pro-active leadership is an inspiration and I am profoundly honored and personally blessed to have had many opportunities to work with her on issues that are critical to out success in this country.
JON MELEGRITO, NAFFAA LEADER 12/22/2003 11:37:44 a.m.
- PEER REVIEW FROM FOUNDER OF CATHOLIC ORGANIZATION OF MIGRANT EQUITY
- Dear Attorney Riedmiller and PABA-DC Friends,
On behalf of C.O.M.E., I thank you sincerely for recognizing the collaborative efforts that C.O.M.E. had with PABA-DC on two occasions to educate the community regarding U.S. immigration and other important concerns. Miriam, you were most kind to give me and others credit for what in the first place should have been accorded to you. If there is anybody MOST worthy of being honored and recognized at the PABDC Christmas party. Your two-year-leadership steered a course of commitment, dedication, action, and accomplishments that endeared PABA and impacted profoundly the Filipino American community at large especially those who are marginalized. I say amen to Erick and Jon's messages.
If I may, I would like to go further by extending my congratulations to Miriam for the superbly done newsletter Vox Populi, commemorative issue. The articles synthesize PABA_DC for the years 2001-2003.
Once more, my gratitude to all of you for allowing me and C.O.M.E. to be part of your outreach projects. To Miriam, thank you for being a good friend.
As we usher in the year 2004, it is my good wishes for a fruitful and successful incoming PABA_DC leadership team. Be assured of my prayers for you all and your loved ones. May you have a grace filled New Year.
Sister Myrna Tordillo, mscs
LETTER FROM PHILIPPINE JUSTICE HILARIO DAVIDE
Dear Atty. Riedmiller,
Thank you for your letter of 10 January 2004 and the accompanying newsletter Vox Populi est Suprema Lex detailing the celebration of the 2002-2003 silver jubilee of the Philippine American Bar Association of Greater Washington, DC, Inc. (PABA-DC, Inc.)
I commend the PABA-DC, Inc. for its many signature projects. Such gives the genuine support and concern our U.S. based lawyers have for the Philippine-American community. I have faith that the Association will consider the measures that will advance the cause and address the increasing legal concerns of our countrymen, particularly the workers, in the United States.
I appreciate your expression of support for my goals for judicial reform and your earnestness in helping our community. You have assurances, likewise, my support and best wishes for the success of your endeavors.
Very truly yours,
Hilario G. Davide, Jr.
We serve standard, simple cases. We also serve clients with special handling needs such as waivers of grounds of inadmissibility:
- I-601 Waiver for fraud and material misrepresentation
People make mistakes. We help people get a second chance and win green cards because ofpositive factors, merit, extenuating and mitigating factors .
- National interest waiver for extraordinary and exceptional ability aliens
We help foreign born talents in the sciences and the arts prove their merit, and waive tedious labor certification process and job offers to win green cards.
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
We fight for men, women and children who were victims of battery and extreme cruelty under the VAWA criteria, win green cards.
- J-1 Waiver of tow year residence requirements
We help J-1 Visa holders win green cards, through adjustment of status in the U.S. by proving that they are exempt from the two year requirement to return to their home country or prove that they are exempt.
- Fiancee Visa ( K Visa>
- B-1, B-2, Business and Visitor Visas
- Working Visas (H1B, L, I, G etc.)
- J-1 Section 2-12(e) Waivers